A dental implant is one of the most biocompatible prosthesis with the success rate of 90-95 %. Nevertheless, the failure of implants has an array of causes.
The first question that comes in our mind by hearing is that where will my dentist place implant into my mouth.? It is the prosthesis embedded into the jawbone in order to give support to the crowns.
What Causes Dental Implant failure?
- Insufficient volume or density of bone: Generally, the bone gets resorb if a patient is edentulous for a long time and wears a removable prosthesis. Dentists may ask for CBCT scans of your jaw to evaluate the bone condition to place it successfully. Nothing to worry for those who do not have enough bone as your dentists can proceed for bone grafting procedure and after a minimum interval of three months, your dentist can place an implant.
- Inaccurate implant positioning: An inappropriate implant alignment can lead to forces that can impair the bone growth around it. Additionally, excessive overloading of implants can resorb the surrounding bone; in that case, it may fall.
- Infection: Proper maintenance is the key to the longevity of it. Chronic food lodgment near implant crown can cause infection of the tissues and bone and this thing is enough as a reason for your implant failure. In some cases, furthermore, it cannot be placed just immediately after the extraction. For those cases, curetting of infection and adequate healing period is necessary to place implants.
- The habit of smoking: According to researches, patients who had a habit of smoking during the initial phase of healing period after implant surgery, were at greater risk of implant failure than non-smokers.
- Systemic disease and medications: Systemic disease like diabetes and osteoporosis can adversely affect the success of the implant. Diabetic patients are more prone to get an infection than no-diabetics. Some researches show specific medicines like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, cyclosporine or some drugs can induce bone resorption. Therefore, the history of the disease and medications must be taken by the practitioners.
Patients should visit the dentist at the earliest if they get signs like pain, bleeding near implant crown area or loosening of the crown.
With the help of accurate procedure and sound knowledge of dentists and proper maintenance of patients, we can diminish the failure rate of an implant.
Looking for A Pain-Free Dental Implant Treatment?
US Dental Clinic
in Ahmedabad, Gujarat is a world-class dental treatment provider pioneered by American trained and licensed dentists and dental implant surgeon. With state-of-the-art dental & implant centre, US Dental provides US standard quality dental care to all the patients ensuring a great dental treatment experience.