Why Do I Get Frequent Mouth Ulcers and How to Treat Them?
Mouth ulcers are painful lesions which can occur in the oral cavity like cheeks, tongue, gums, floor of the mouth or palate also. You may feel discomfort or pain when having food when mouth ulcers are there. Mouth ulcers are commonly seen in adolescents or women. Sometimes, it runs in families also. Mouth ulcer is generally white in color which is surrounded by red or inflammatory tissues. This is how it looks:
Mouth ulcers have no definite reason nevertheless, there are some factors that are known, and some factors can aggravate mouth ulcers too. Here we will know about the reasons and their solutions too.
The Below are the Factors that Can Cause Mouth Ulcers
- A common reason for ulcers in the mouth is, cheek or tongue can be bitten while eating mistakenly.
- Sharp edges of teeth can create ulcers on the tongue or cheeks also. Or misaligned teeth also continue to hurt the soft tissue and can cause ulcer.
- Injury to tongue, cheeks, or gums accidentally or sometimes it happens during dental procedure also. Patients may chew tongue, lips or cheeks when an anesthetic effect is there unintentionally that can convert into mouth ulcer.
- Braces treatment can hurt the soft tissues which can cause ulcers in the mouth.
- Poor or ill-fitting denture
- Another common cause of mouth ulcers is stress in today’s life. Stress can aggravate the ulcers, or it can also delay the healing.
- Gastric issues like acidity, also, are responsible for the mouth ulcer. Such problems release the acid which can create ulcers in the mouth.
- Hormonal imbalances like during menstruation is also one of the reasons for mouth ulcers.
- Deficiency of vitamins like vitamin B12, folic acid, iron, or zinc.
- Frequent habit of eating or drinking citric food or liquid. Some have a habit of having lemon or spices every day.
Dental ulcers are diagnosed clinically by doctor or dentist. Generally, you may get ulcer relief of ulcer within 2 to 3 weeks. Sometimes, it requires treatment and sometimes it does not. In case of severe pain or an ulcer that lasts for a longer period, you should visit a doctor.
What Causes Mouth Ulcers? What are the Treatment Remedies and How to Prevent Them?
- A doctor will prescribe anti-microbial mouthwash or sometimes can prescribe a gel to get rid of it.
- Multivitamins tablets for folic acid, vitamin B12 also can help to heal the ulcer soon.
- You should also avoid spicy food or citric food.
- You also must avoid smoking or tobacco chewing.
- Working stress management, getting proper sleep, and a balanced diet will prevent the ulcers.
- You should keep oral hygiene maintained by doing proper brushing and flossing.
- You should visit a dentist to get the consultation done. Sharp edges of the teeth can be rounded off so that it cannot hurt soft tissue. Dentures can be trimmed off and get polished if they irritate soft tissue.
- Avoid using toothpaste which contains sodium lauryl sulphate. You should use a soft toothbrush to avoid injury to soft tissues.
- You can take a pain killer as per your doctor’s advice if pain is there.
Long retained ulcers should be diagnosed by a doctor. Smoking, consuming of alcohol or infection with human papilloma virus can become the reason for long lasting ulcers. Sometimes, biopsy is also needed to diagnose such ulcers. Early detection will help you to get rid of these issues as soon as possible.
Looking for A Dentist for a Frequent Mouth Ulcer Treatment?
US Dental Clinic in Ahmedabad, Gujarat is a world-class dental treatment provider pioneered by American trained and licensed dentists and dental implant surgeon. With state-of-the-art dental & implant centre, US Dental provides US standard, quality dental care and Oral Treatment like mouth ulcer to all the patients ensuring a great dental treatment experience.