Which Tooth Cap is Best After Root Canal Treatment?
You might have heard the term dental crown or cap during your dental visit. This treatment is advised by the dentist to cover broken teeth, decayed teeth and to replace missing teeth. Dental crowns provide strength to your weak tooth after root canal treatment and improve your smile if they are used as a cosmetic correction.
What’s The Best Crown for Your Tooth?
There are different materials which are used to make dental crowns. Each dental crown has its own pros and cons. According to your case which will be the best crown in your case that is only decided by the dentist depending upon clinical scenario.
According to your case the dentist will give you the different option to select a cap. Let’s discuss in detail about each crown so it will be easier for you to make an informed decision during your dental visit.
Pros and Cons of Dental Crown Materials
These are the most durable crowns when we talk about strength. Gold, titanium, or metal alloys are used to make dental crowns. Nowadays nickel-cobalt- chromium alloy is mostly used to make crowns.
- Very durable
- Fracture and wear resistance
- Required less trimming of natural teeth as metal crown minimum thickness is required only 1mm.
- Cheaper compared to other crowns.
- Metallic color so only used for back teeth.
- Need to select CAD-CAM or DMLS metal crown as regular metal crown surface is rough so in long term can damage adjacent teeth due to plaque accumulation if oral hygiene is neglected.
Full Ceramic Crown
In full ceramic crown there are two options- zirconia crown and e-max crown. These are metal free crowns which provide excellent results in shade matching with adjacent teeth so look more natural. Criteria for selecting zirconia or E-max crown is dependent upon clinical condition.
- Excellent aesthetic result as it has shade and translucency same as natural teeth.
- Best option in case a patient has metal allergy.
- More durable compared to PFM Crowns
- Cost is higher compared to other crowns
- In rare cases, they get fractured or chipped if tooth preparation is not adequate.
- Required more tooth preparation for zirconia crown.
- E-max crown not recommended in case of non-vital tooth.
PFM (Porcelain Fused Metal Crown)
These crowns are the combination of metal and porcelain. It provides strength of metal with aesthetic of porcelain.
- cost effective
- use for front and back teeth.
- In long term due to metal presence gums can get black lining around crown
- Porcelain layer might get chipped in case of less clearance.
Visit us today to save your teeth and get a beautiful smile.
Looking for a specialist to determine the type of odor and give you dental crown treatment?
US Dental Clinic in Ahmedabad, Gujarat is a world-class dental treatment provider pioneered by American trained and licensed dentists and dental implant surgeon. With state of the art dental & implant centre, we provide US standard quality dental crown treatment to all the patients ensuring a great dental treatment experience.