Fasting means willing abstinence or reduction of some or all foods, drinks or both for a specific period of time. It is the integral part of many religious traditions. Fasting pattern also differs from religion to religion. Hindu people fasts mostly during Shravan
month, Islamism have Ramadan, Christianity has Good Friday, Ash Wednesday. Jews have 7 fast days.
Effect of fasting:
Fasting aims to connect soul to divine. Fasting changes eating habits and if done in a proper way it helps lot to prevent various diseases and also makes healthy.
As per Inadianlink.com, Benefits of fasting on health are as follows:
- Fasting is a great opportunity to focus on bringing back a balanced and healthy lifestyle in people’s lives, who do not normally care about their eating habits
- Fasting requires giving the stomach a rest, and by doing so one will be able to break down and expel collected toxins from the body
Fasting tips for healthy oral care:
1. Brush and Floss regularly & twice a day:
- While fasting, the release of toxins from the colon, kidneys, bladder, lungs, sinuses, and skin clears out complications that may have arisen from a bad diet and unhealthy lifestyle
Various people feels that brushing teeth using toothpaste during fast is not allowed.
This ends up with
- Dental Cavities
- Bad Breath
- Tooth Decay
- Pearly teeth
- Periodontal diseases etc.
Thus, it is important to brush your teeth. Fast is only broken when toothpaste directly goes into your body system so take care you don’t swallow the toothpaste.
2. Drink Plenty of water:
It is necessary to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water to keep the body hydrated. During fasting, when you are not taking food it is important to drink water or its supplement to be energised and get rid of other problems.
To increase its intake,
- Drinking water during fasting will keep you hydrated and energised.
- Proper hydration will help you to control bacteria in your mouth
- Works for dry mouth treatment
- Helps to prevent cavity & tooth decay
- Drink lemon water
- Fruit juices
But, avoid the consumption of sugar, cold drinks, preservative drinks
3. Take healthy diet:
During fasting, avoiding food leads to reduction in your stored energy.
Thus, to stay energized,
4. Don’t celebrate fasting ends with overindulgent feasting!
- Take healthy and nutritional food like vegetables, fruits, dairy foods such as Milk, Buttermilk, Cheese, Paneer etc.
- Avoid junk foods & Oily foods
- Avoid sugar and sweets
People ends up overeating after fasting. This actually leads to weight gain. After fasting, your body system is not able to consume foods and you end up indulging over amount causes your metabolism cycle.
5. Avoid smoking & Alcohol
Smoking leads to dental problems, including:
# 90% of people suffers from Oral cancer due to tobacco.
# Six times high chances of oral cancer for smokers than non-smokers.
- Bad breath
- Tooth discoloration
- Increased build-up of plaque and tartar on the teeth
- Increased loss of bone within the jaw
- Increased risk of leucoplakia, Oral cancer, and white patches inside the mouth
- It also lowers the success rate of oral treatment
So, keep fast of Alcohol and smoking.
6. Don’t postpone your dental treatment during fasting
Keep Fasting! Keep Smiling!
- For better Oral hygiene and happy life style, appoint your dentist regularly.
- Don’t keep fast of your oral medications. It may increase the cavities and risks.
To know more about Oral care, visit US Dental, best dental clinic in Ahmedabad
today & enjoy healthy smile!!!